Saturday, April 16, 2005

Career Builder

My boyfriend helped me make my very first resume today.

When I applied for the EMT position at the hospital, they never asked for a resume. I'm guessing that's because they figure that you're just one of the following things: 1. a state licensed, certified EMT, or 2. a nursing student. A resume isn't really going to determine your chances of getting hired for a job like that. There's no competition. Either you fit the criteria, or you don't. End of story.

Unfortunately, since I never needed a resume before, it wasn't a priority of mine to make one. These days, however, I'm finding the need to branch out, or at least aim for a job where I have more room for growth than the one I'm at now. Being an EMT is an important job with quite a large amount of responsibility, but it's completely dead end. No room for growth or advancement whatsoever, and that's sort of depressing. I suppose Homer Simpson would have enjoyed having a job like mine, judging from what he said during an episode where he worked at a Wal-Mart spoof store: "no room to move up in the company?? ALRIGHT!! No pressure!"
Ha.

I sort of thought along the same lines when I initially started that job. Yes, the job is very high pressure, but not in the context Homer Simpson was speaking of. I realize now that room for growth and opportunity for advancement in the workplace are very important for keeping you on your toes. Competition is a healthy thing, to a certain extent...You have a chance to shine, an opportunity to work through challenging scenarios, and I see that the same thing that happened to me with school is what happened to me at work-not being challenged, no motivation.
During my yearly evaluation a couple of months ago, my supervisor said she noticed I'd "lost my spark" about my job...I knew then that she may be right, but now I definitely know she hit the nail on the head by saying that. She asked if there was anything she could do to "help me get it back", but I said nothing precisely because it's a dead end job. I wish there was something she could do to fix it.

I wouldn't change the last four years of work experience for the world. I can't believe I've carried such an enormous responsibility on my back at such a young age. Saving lives. Wow. Not many people get to look back on their youth and say that...and I do see how special it is. I've learned so much...I've been rewarded in ways some people will never experience...
I'm forever grateful.

And while I still haven't got it quite figured out, as far as what I want to do with my life in the "long run" (whatever that means), having this job kept me from wasting my time on a Nursing degree. Sure, it pays well, but I know I couldn't keep doing what I do for the rest of my life. It's taken a toll on me in ways you can't even imagine. By the time I turn 30 I'd be completely burned out.

So, these days I'm feeling the need to end this chapter of my life.

I began by putting my resume up on CareerBuilder.com earlier today. Not much of a start, I know... but hey, it's something.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Plant Man said...

you aren't paying for your degree. the people who play the lotto are paying a lot a lot!

7:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home