Sunday, March 27, 2005

Hiatus

I've been off work since Wednesday, and it feels like an eternity.

It was nice to be able to have the majority of Spring Break off, though. It was great. Some of the best dates my boyfriend and I have had took place this week (La Locanda, The Fair, etc).

I also got to see some friends I haven't seen in a while at a birthday party.

That birthday party got me started with my whole existential work crisis again.

Most days, though I do work a dead-end job, i'm thankful for even having one. For someone who doesn't have a college degree, I make an OK amount of money; it's just that I owe so much of it to other people that I never see a penny that comes rolling in. From the desks of the corporate slave drivers, to the bank for a brief moment, straight to the mouths of the credit card sharks. But it's all my fault... So I guess I should shut up.

Anyway, at the birthday party, I realized I was surrounded by about 90% young professionals, some younger, some slightly older... All moving on with their lives...

Architects, engineers, teachers, nurses... All around me...

It's not that my job isn't important. I think it's QUITE important, in fact. It's just, I never seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel since it's such a dead-end job...I save lives, and it's rewarding. But I've been there four years and I'm only making a a dollar fifty (or so) more than when I started. There's no room for growth...

I only have a year or so left to get my degree... But the scary part is, I'm afraid I'll just end up at the hospital even after I get it; which means I won't be able to move out, get out of debt, or get on with it.

So this really wasn't an interesting post about Nursing, but I just had to get that off my chest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home